The garlic and mirin add an ethnic twist to this easy-to-prepare seafood dish. Note: This recipe is served with ½ cup brown rice for this meal. This can be done ahead of time.
Prep and Cook Time: 25 minutes Serves 1Ingredients:
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced ½-inch thick
- 3 TBS chicken or vegetable broth (plus more as needed)
- 1 TBS grated fresh ginger
- 2 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup fresh sliced crimini mushrooms, quartered and sliced
- 1 ½ cups thin asparagus, cut in 2″ lengths (discard bottom fourth)
- ¼ lb cod fillet cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBS mirin wine
- pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes cut in quarters
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and white pepper and tamari soy sauce to taste
- Slice onion and chop garlic and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat 2 TBS broth in a 12 inch stainless steel skillet. Healthy Saute onion in broth over medium high heat for 2 minutes, covered. Add remaining 1 TB broth, ginger, garlic, and mushrooms. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly. You may need to turn down the heat.
- Add asparagus, cod and shrimp, lemon juice, mirin, red pepper flakes, and tamari and stir to mix well. Add 1-2 TBS additional broth if needed. Cover and simmer for just about 5 minutes on medium heat. The fish and shrimp will be opaque when done.
- Turn off heat and toss in tomatoes and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over rice.